At the last minute Monday I had to again call and confirm that we had the contract signing scheduled for yesterday afternoon. As part of that I also had to say "hey, I haven't actually seen a contract yet, or prices" - so at 7pm, the day before a 1:30pm scheduled contract signing, I finally got those. Hardly what I'd call "ample time" to go through things and be willing to sign anything.
The short version:
- Finally got a contract and pricing back - the good thing about the pricing is there's been a few additional inclusions I didn't have prices on. Simple things like both ensuits now have mirrored 15mm deep cabinets, at a cost of $450 each. Overhead cupboards are included to the kitchen ($840).
- They're still investigating a rebate on some of the power points - if you wanted a double, but a single was standard, instead of charging you a $5 difference, they'd charge you $61 to put a double in, but remove the single, and not credit you the $56. So I'm asking for a credit of about $400 back. Small dollars, but it's principle.
- They found a bit of spare money in the slab requirement, so that's dropped by a few k. Always a good thing.
- But lastly, they've told me that if I can get rid of the rock myself cheaper, they'll refund the difference. Score - because we can use that for rock garden, and at the same time save $220/m.
The house actually sits about 20mm over the maximum height, due to .... I don't know. Not digging out dirt or something. But basically they have to send off a report & consent to the council. Shouldn't be a big issue.
A few changes I wanted to investigate that they couldn't do:
- Putting a cavity in the shower requires three wall faces in the shower. Because it's a corner unit, there's only two, so it can't be done. Makes sense to me.
- A walk-in robe in B3, which I never really thought would be viable, would just mean far too little space in that room, so that's not being looked at further either.
- The sighting of the house can't be any further back - the garage has to be 5m back, so 4.9 meters is all the backyard I'll be getting.
On the day changes:
- For the ensuit I've changed the door to a cavity sliding door - while they can fit it in a 90mm cavity without having to increase the wall width, it means you can't screw in anything like a toilet roll holder to the wall. That'll have to be adhesive, I guess.
- After conversation it was decided that the doors picked weren't so nice, so I've ditched them and made the bedroom 2 robe a mirrored sliding door rather than the somewhat ugly porous vinyl.
Outstanding changes I don't have an answer on yet:
- I've decided I don't like glossy window and door surrounds, so want to investigate varnished timber. They need to ring me back on that.
- For some reason, we have Venetians over top of stained privacy glass. I'm not sure why, but that doesn't make a lot of sense.
All up, we're floating around $201,200, with spare lunch money. The docs are now in the hand of my solicitor before I'm allowed to sign anything, but it's looking good.